Sunday, January 11, 2009

How does film in general affect the way I see the world?

It is interesting that we can become so easily conditioned to the restrictions of space and time. The finite quantities that surround us possess the power to restrict our imagination and affect our perception of everyday life. Film, however, allows for avenues that traverse these boundaries and stretch and distort our observations of them. In general, I feel that film’s impact on my world is the most significant when I am not in front of the screen or behind a camera.

In my opinion, film’s greatest feature is its ability to manipulate space and time. For example, the drastic elevation changes and sped up time in the opening sequence of Fight Club is a perfect example of modern film’s ability to illustrate the world in ways that cannot be easily done. Unlike painted art and the photograph, film gives us the chance to affect these natural worldly restrictions to spur the imagination.

I would say this very imagination is by far the greatest way in which movies affect me. Film provides a way for these situations, like the Fight Club scene, to be possible even if they could not have been fathomable beforehand. I find that the moments after I finish and comprehend a film are the most beautiful, and I often assess a movie based on these emotions. Envisioning scenes and the motives and stimuli behind these decisions allow the film to be appreciated far beyond the time of screening.

The opening up of new scenarios and experiences is interesting in that it also shrinks our world in terms of cultures and dynamic differences. This, in addition to stimulating our minds and thoughts is the way in which film affects the way I see the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment